Leadership Mastery Series
Leadership Secrets of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Napoleon Bonaparte Quotes:
- “Imagination rules the world.”
- “Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.”
- “Order marches with weighty and measured strides. Disorder is always in a hurry.”
The fastest way to die in Napoleon’s army — Bring Napoleon a problem without also bringing several well-thought-out suggested solutions to that problem.
Allowing subordinates to ‘delegate upwards’ is fatal to any leader or venture.
Eventually the subordinates will do less and less. Everything will flow onto the leader’s desk, and the ‘force magnifying effect’ of leadership has completely failed. The leader is now the bottleneck and effectively the ‘lowest rung’ person on the organization’s ladder. Because anyone can delegate to him/her.
NEVER allow ‘delegation upwards’.
- It is the subordinate’s job to create the solutions to the problems, not the leaders job.
The leader’s job is to have the vision, have an idea of the path, know and communicate the milestones, and midcourse correct as necessary.
- Their job is NOT to solve everyone’s problems.
- That is the follower’s jobs.
Language you can use immediately:
‘That sounds like an interesting problem. And what are your suggested solutions?’
- Note: Do this even if you KNOW how to solve the problem.
- The solution is not the issue, the leadership and management style are.
- Start solving people’s problems, and you become the easiest solution for them in the future.
‘Never come to me with a problem without also bringing 3 solutions.’
- Install this principle during employee on-boarding and orientation.
Also, do not allow subordinates to bring solutions that YOU must be involved in implementing.
- They must be able to implement the solution on their own.
- Otherwise they are pushing stuff on your desk. That is unacceptable.
‘On to Empire’ or ‘Off with their head!’ it all comes down to YOUR leadership.
Aaron Brauch, Business Management Consultant